The Friends play a special role in connecting the University Libraries to the greater community and enriching the campus and community through thought-provoking, entertaining, and intellectually engaging programs.
By joining the Friends of the Libraries, you will:
- Provide important support to assure that the resources of this great library are extended to promote library outreach and staff development.
- Continue the Friends’ important role in supporting University Libraries outreach, in creating innovative programs, and in encouraging use and appreciation of its remarkable resources.
- Benefit all University of Minnesota students and faculty — and people throughout Minnesota who rely on the Libraries for information.
All Friends members receive:
- Invitations to lectures, exhibit openings, author readings, and other special events at the University Libraries.
- Discounts at the University of Minnesota Bookstores located in Coffman Memorial Union.
- Subscriptions to publications for Friends and supporters of the Libraries.
Want to borrow a book?
Borrowing privileges and unlimited access to electronic journals, magazines, and newspaper subscriptions from public workstations at any Twin Cities campus library are available to supporters at the $80 level (or $40 members of the University of Minnesota Alumni Association).
How to join or renew and gain borrowing privileges
- Complete the online form (you will be redirected to the University of Minnesota Foundation’s online giving form)
- Request borrowing privileges by specifying “I am requesting (or renewing) a Friends library borrowing card” in the Special Instructions box.
Please note: It can take several days after making your online donation before your borrowing privileges are renewed or created. Your donation is tax deductible, therefore donations are non refundable.
Need library access immediately?
If you have an immediate need for borrowing, please visit Wilson Library in person to request or renew your Friends library card.
- Member: $40 annual donation
- Donor/Borrowing privileges: $80 annually
- $40 annually for University of Minnesota Alumni Association members
- $30 for recently graduated students, within one year
- Associate: $100
- Sponsor: $300 and above
- Borrowing privileges for organizations
- $250 per year base rate
- $80 per year for nonprofit organizations
Interested in serving on the Friends board?
If you are interested in learning more and being considered for the Friends of the University of Minnesota Libraries Board of Directors, please visit our webpage that explains the purpose, duties, and expectations of the board of directors.