The University of Minnesota Libraries is one of the University’s and the state’s greatest intellectual assets. We support 45,000 students and more than 5,000 faculty and instructors.
We are also a resource for University of Minnesota Alumni. Check out some of the ways you can take advantage of our resources.
The University Libraries’ Minitex service provides access to thousands of digital publications (books, journals, newspapers) via its Electronic Library of Minnesota service [available for Minnesota residents].
The University Libraries and UMAA have licensed a similar suite of digital publications for UMAA members who live outside of Minnesota.
Online historical collections
Minnesota Digital Library
The Minnesota Digital Library provides access to digital versions of photographs, documents, and correspondence from libraries, museums, and historical societies throughout the state.
Digital Public Library of America
The Minnesota Digital Library also contributes its content and those of its Minnesota partners to the Digital Public Library of America (DPLA). The DPLA is a great resource for teachers and others interested in American history and original documentation from around the country, including thematic exhibits.
HathiTrust Digital Library
The HathiTrust Digital Library brings together the immense digital collections of more than 100 major research institutions and libraries, including the University of Minnesota Libraries, preserving these records securely for use today and in the future.
- Maps: digital maps, aerial photographs of Minneapolis, and more
- University Libraries special collections
- University Experts: Check out research expertise of University faculty
Friends of the Libraries member benefits
Join the Friends of the Libraries and receive additional benefits. These include:
- Borrowing privileges and unlimited onsite access to electronic journal, magazine, and newspaper subscriptions at all Twin Cities campus libraries (for members at the $80 level and above, UMAA members at the $40 level).
- Invitations to lectures, exhibit openings, author readings, and other special events at the University Libraries.
- Discounts at the University of Minnesota Bookstore located in Coffman Memorial Union
- Subscriptions to publications for Friends and supporters of the Libraries.